Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Light at the End of the Tunnel is a...

One of my favorite professors @ Bama once told a story during class about how he almost died on the operating table. “I started to drift away,” he said. “I began to follow the light I saw at the end of the tunnel.” Ahh, the proverbial light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel story...just like a Hallmark channel original movie, only in my PR class.

“I walked closer and closer to the light, and then I saw what it was.” Anticipation was everywhere. The sorority girl who had been previously texting and loudly chewing her gum now had her head slightly tilted with lips parted—giving the piece of blue wintermint a much needed rest. The old lady in class (you know who I’m talking about, the one in every class) had furiously transcribed every word of the story to this point and now had her pen firmly pressed into the sheet of college ruled, eager to jot down the wisdom that would surely come. The football player, well, hadn’t come to class yet…

“The light at the end of the tunnel is…” magical, I thought. Nope. “A disco ball.” Say what? “The light at the end of the tunnel is a disco ball.” At this revelation, the half-open mouth closed around the blue wintermint, ending what few moments of solitude the gum had. The old lady in class continued to furiously note every word, nodding in agreement as if she had stood right next to the professor and saw the semi-afterlife disco ball as well. The football player…still wasn’t in class. And me? I smiled.

In some ways, my professor’s near-death experience can be applied to my blog. It slowly begins to die and starts inching closer to the light at the end of the tunnel, which we now know is a disco ball, then it comes back to life. I’ve had several people tell me I need to update my blog…I just haven’t gotten around to it. Maybe it has to do with the fact I write stuff all day at work and just don’t feel like it afterwards, or it could just mean that I need to update it while I’m at work…shh. So everyone marvel at the new banner I made for the top of my page…”Ohh, ahh.” That’s right.

And if you can read, you can see it’s been nine months between the two updates here on the ESOTKM. There are plenty of things, trips, excursions, etc. to fill a couple more posts (I even got a job). I promise to update more regularly. And if not, you can join my blog in a few months as it starts that long walk to the end of the tunnel. Be sure to bring your platform shoes though, this here blog likes to dance to ABBA!

4 comments:

Gay Anne said...

YES!! Please blog often! Your writing is great! Maybe you need to write the second installment of Harry and Mitch!

annie are you okay said...

is that argyle??? nice....

and the banner is eye catching, impressive, and also nice...

Carina said...

Your banner is great, as is your blog! Keep updating, por favor! ¡No puedo esperar para verle!

Musings from the Midwest said...

Okay. Nice update.

Raise your hand if it's your birthday tomorrow . . . (Kyle raises his hand)

Now, raise your hand if you're on summer vacation . . . . (raising my hand) . . .

Aunt Jen